Journeyman Project (1.x and Turbo versions)

Tommy's Forum: Presto Studios: Journeyman Project (1.x and Turbo versions)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Andy C on Tuesday, May 4, 2004 - 12:25 pm:

Hi,

I have recently received a copy of The Journeyman Project: Turbo! for PC, and am running Windows XP...I can't install Video for Windows from the disc, as it says it will not install under Windows NT, and I have tried the compatability modes...when I launch the game it says "MCI device not ready"...is there another way around this error? It seems odd that I can run the original JP with no problems, and can't run the updated version! Please help...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tommy on Tuesday, May 4, 2004 - 03:27 pm:

Hey Andy, the original "Multimedia PC" versions of The Journeyman Project were really simple multimedia apps that were dog slow on 386-era PCs. TJP Turbo's key advantage over the original was that it was completely recompiled to run much faster on these old systems. TJP Turbo's attempts to install a very old version of Video for Windows (the Windows 3.1 predecessor to Windows Media for XP) is probably affecting its compatibility with present-day machines - this was addressed with the updated installer from the TJP Trilogy.

However, if you can get the original to run smoothly on a fast Pentium-compatible today, you're not missing a thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By KivaWolf on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 02:06 pm:

This is really interesting considering that I also have a copy of the Turbo version as well. Well mine came with a purchase of the Packard Bell computer. I run it just fine under WinXP. In fact it has run just fine on all versions on Windows. I have yet to obtain an original PC version of JP but so far I am quite satisfied with the original one on Macintosh. I have heard of this problem about the "MCI Error" and I too have recieved it but not on this game. I was actually trying to run Bill Gates CD (don't ask) that came with the book The Road Ahead and says the same. I think it is a soundcard/soundboard issue.

Kiva Wolf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Crowley on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 12:56 pm:

Tommy, I could you by any chance shed some light on something I've wondered about in this game since I first played it. Namely, why do you disable the bomb on Mars by playing Mastermind? That is absolutely the worst puzzle in the entire game on grounds that it has absolutely no logical connection to the action that is accomplished by this. Judging from what I've read, the method of bomb disposal is unchanged in Pegasus Prime... Why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tommy on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:41 pm:

If you examine other titles from this early era of PC gaming (such as 7th guest) you'll notice that game designers were still experimenting to figure out the new CD-ROM medium. Adventure game design added the challenge of balancing puzzles with exploration. Each subsequent version of the Journeyman Project games underwent a level of refinement of technology and gameplay integration to make the experience more immersive. If Pegasus Prime repeated many quirks of the first Journeyman Project, that is simply its legacy as a remake of the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By James Ferguson on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 09:52 am:

Was the Turbo version of the The Journeyman Project ever made for compatibility with the Macintosh? I was under the impression that the very original version ran really slow only on the PC (Windows 3.1) because the best PCs home users could get then were 486s that just barely met the game's system requirements (whereas the Mac version ran pretty smoothly), and that it was not necessary to make a faster version for the Mac. And yet I see on eBay copies of the Turbo version for "PC/Mac" on the following pages: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8119383708&rd=1, and http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14623&item=8119976124&rd=1. I'm guessing that the eBay users who put these two copies up for sale are probably mistaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tommy on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 01:09 pm:

There was a JP Turbo title for both platforms, but it had never been released as a single hybrid disk like JP3. It's possible for a user unfamiliar with the product to make this mistake because the original instruction booklet includes data about both versions, but you can verify the platform and version by checking the disk itself.

The Mac version of the original Journeyman Project underwent a massive performance boost in version 1.2, but owners of versions 1.0 to 1.1 did not see the advantage of upgrading. This was probably part of basis for the marketing decision to change the title of the upgrade of the PC version from The Journeyman Project 2.0 to The Journeyman Project Turbo. I had originally passed the suggestion as a joke since Street Fighter II Turbo was a big hit at the time, but the publisher (Sanctuary Woods) thought it was a good idea because it also helped avoid confusion with the forthcoming JP2: Buried in Time.

Since many early adopters of the Mac version were unaware of the performance upgrade in version 1.2, when a new Mac update (probably version 1.3 or 1.5) incorporating further improvements was built, this too was titled JP Turbo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Jeff Saunders on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 08:58 am:

I can't find a copy of The Journeyman Project Turbo! I used to own it but I can't find it, where can I possibly find a copy? I live in Canada so to ship a copy to me if i ordered on eBay would add about $10 U.S. to the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey Miesner on Sunday, September 5, 2004 - 11:21 am:

EBay has a million of them, for really cheap too. (I found this out when I was looking to buy the whole trilogy...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey Miesner on Sunday, September 5, 2004 - 11:22 am:

Whoops! I didin't read your whole post...sorry. (Duh me.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By epplegacks on Monday, September 6, 2004 - 08:30 am:

Got the trilogy box basically cause it had journeyman 3 in it, I remember they included a demo of it in Riven way back in.. 97.. i think.. ;) anyways so I'm trying to play Turbo and it run fine except that it crashes to the desktop when I try to save, it's making it hard to get through the game at all. Is there a patch or some other fix for this saving issue or has anyone had problems like this before? I'm running it on WinXP btw. If you could email me the answer it would be appreciated as I'm in the process of getting a new computer, like tomorrow. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By s chambers on Tuesday, September 7, 2004 - 11:52 am:

I am trying to run my copy of Journeyman Project Turbo and keep getting the message that it can't find the CDROM when I try to start the game from the jman.exe on my hard drive. If I start the game from the jman.exe on the CD-ROM, the game crashes as I try to leave Gage's apartment, with a message about not being able to find the file.

I have had this same experience on two PCs running XP and on a PC running Win98. Any clues about how I can get the game to run?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By James Ferguson on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:30 am:

I had the same JMAN.EXE problem with JP Turbo from the Trilogy (hard drive copy of executable not finding CD), and I figured out how to fix it. In the Windows directory ("C:^#92;WINDOWS" or "C:^#92;WINXP", whatever it is), there should be a file called "JMAN.INI". Open it in NotePad, and you should notice the problem almost immediately. The second line of the file, below "[Journeyman]", probably says "BasePath=^#92;". That is an error. The line is supposed to say "BasePath=:^#92;". For example, my CD-ROM drive is E:, so in my case, it has to say "BasePath=E:^#92;". In fact, because of this JMAN.INI file, you can copy the whole game to your hard drive (if it's big enough) to make it run faster than with the CD drive. Assuming you have the game installed in the default directory "C:^#92;Program Files^#92;Journeyman Project Turbo", go to the root directory of the game CD and copy the "SUPPORT" folder to that directory on the hard drive, so that when you go into the "SUPPORT" folder on the hard drive, the address bar says "C:^#92;Program Files^#92;Journeyman Project Turbo^#92;SUPPORT". Once you have done that, change the second line in the JMAN.INI file so that it says "BasePath=C:^#92;PROGRA~1^#92;JOURNE~1^#92;". You can't put the word "SUPPORT" in the line; if you do, the game will look for another folder called "SUPPORT" in the first "SUPPORT" folder. And you can't put the whole folder names in the line because the JMAN.EXE file was originally written back in '92/'93 for Windows 3.1, which can't have a file or folder name be more than 8 characters or have spaces. I hope I have been helpful. (Please note: because of the technical nature of this forum, if you see "^#92;" terms in this message, they mean "backslash", the symbol that separates folder names in an address bar path.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By s chambers on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:33 am:

Yes, that was very helpful. Thanks very much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Russell Hamann on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 03:47 pm:

You are a genius buddy! I also bought the trilogy and could never get that to work. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey Miesner on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 12:51 pm:

I've been having a problem with JPT lately (on my
Windows XP). When I try and open it, it says that it can't
find shell.dll. I know I have it because I opened up the
c:\windows\system\ folder and it's not there. I
downloaded a bigger version (like 128k or something,
as opposed to 5k) and I put it in the c:\windows\
system32\ folder, and it still didn't work. Will replacing
the one in my System folder make it work? And if so,
will it screw up my computer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey on Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 01:07 pm:

PS Hey, who's that on the original JMP cover? The
golden robot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By James on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:37 am:

Well, Mr. Ferguson is a genius. Thank you. I was having the same saving/can not find CD promlem. Works excelently now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey Miesner on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 12:51 pm:

Hey, guess what? I decided to run a PC emulator I got
(not Virtual PC, it's like $300 or something) on one of
my Macintosh PowerPCs and put Windows 95 on it (I
lost my codes for 98 and ME) and run it there! Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey Miesner on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 01:01 pm:

Okay, I got into a fight with one of my friends whether
the walls in the WSC are alive or not (I mean like, living
tisssue). They ARE, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:02 pm:

...Alive? o_O I thought they were some kind of shaped glass.
Well, at least the walls of the Krynn ship are alive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By James Ferguson on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 01:34 pm:

I'm pretty sure that the walls and doors of the World Science Center are organic, if not "alive", in nature. Anyone who has played Pegasus Prime might notice (and this may be just my opinion, or it was by design) that the animations of the doors look and sound like organic cells contracting and relaxing like muscles. In the original Journeyman Project, though, the door animations were not as smooth, and seemed to me like force fields.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 10:15 am:

I have a new question. What is the violent ending in Norad
VI? The only way I could figure out how to defeat Poseidon
is to use the loading arm, which is the non-violent ending. I
can't figure out what the violent way is and I kind of want to
know everything about the game. So how do you violently
defeat Poseidon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey M on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 12:40 pm:

The violent ending is turning up the air pressure control
by the door mega-high and watching him crumple like a
piece of paper. It's so cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 02:29 pm:

I have no idea why that is considered the violent ending, it's as if someone made a mistake in it. Spoilers In Moroimoto, destroying the ship would cause more of a temporal disturbance than apprehending Ares. As breaking part of the WSC lighting area would damage it, aside merely testing the fire alarm. So why is it that increasing the air pressure to crush a robot that dissapears is more violent than destroying the sub bay window, breaking the seal, and leaving the arm in a strange position? I don't get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 04:32 pm:

I suppose it's based on how you defeated the robot. Making
him crumble up like a piece of paper is a more violent of
destroying Poseidon himself than immobilizing him. As for
the window and all, I guess Sinclair isn't the one getting
that Ghandi bonus, is he?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 03:59 am:

Must be. I always assumed it was to do with how much evidence of your existence you left in the time zone, however either way you're forced to chase Ares though space, which the Humans would have found both ships to be empty. I guess it does revolve around how 'useable' the robots are at the end of the day, anyway. Pity, I always thought they were the bad guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 09:55 am:

It isn't how useable they are, but how violently you disable
them. If you crush them, electrify them, or blow them up,
it's more violent than immobilizing them, exposing them to
water, and draining their power.

But because they are the bad guys, it's always so fun to
ignore the bonus and have fun beating them up. Besides,
you can always edit the savegame file if you really want that
Ghandi bonus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Derek on Friday, October 1, 2004 - 10:17 am:

I have a Mac beige G3 running OS 9.1 and Quicktime Pro v. 5. I can run JMP turbo fine, but the program switches my color depth to 256, when I know it can run in thousands of colors. I've tried playling around with quicktime versions, keeping the color depth "thousands" instead of "millions", disabling video extensions and OpenGL... still no luck. Anybody know a fix for this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Friday, October 1, 2004 - 11:45 am:

First off, I'll just say that the game was meant to be run in
256 colors and every image in the game only has one of
those 256 colors in it. However, for the geek factor, I have
managed to figure out how to change color depth for JMP
under OS X's Classic Mode. I haven't been able to figure it
out for OS 9 yet, but I'll say what I have figured out for OS
X's Classic Mode.

1. Launch the game (if desired, switch resolution to
640x480 first)
2. While at the main screen, press apple-option-esc
3. The Force Quit window should appear
4. Hit apple-tab to switch between applications
5. Switch to the Finder
6. Change the color depth as you normally would do,
whether it be from the menu item if you've installed it or
from System Preferences.
7. Close the Force Quit window and click back into the
game.

Obviously, this doesn't work in OS 9 since the Force Quit
dialog box is quite different from the Force Quit Window of
OS X. However, you can try to hit apple-tab in the main
screen and see if that switches. I seem to recall that it that
key command may have switched programs, even in
fullscreen games, in OS 9, but don't quote me on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey M. on Monday, October 4, 2004 - 12:59 pm:

I found a bunch of death screens on the Journeyman
Project Turbo CD. I only know a few ways to die,
though.
-Going to anywhere but the TSA
-Going into the main colony entrance
-Ares killing you
-Not removing Mercury's dart
-Letting people see you in the WSC
-Mercury shooting you on the bridge
-Poseidon drilling the window
-Poseidon smashing the door down on you
-Getting ground up by the gears on Mars
-Running out of oxygen on Mars
-Taking the poison gas canister and putting it into your
inventory
-Dr. Sinclair shooting you

That's all I know. Does anyone know any more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Monday, October 4, 2004 - 05:37 pm:

There are a couple I know of that you missed:

-Get hit by the tram in the Morimoto Mars Colony
-Run out of energy in a time zone (I assume this is a death,
I've never actually tried this)

There is a data file for deaths. There are several listed in
there that I don't recognize. Anybody have any ideas?

Prehistoric Fall
Prehistoric Dino
Caught by security (Maybe getting seen in WSC and Mars?)
Mars Bucket Fall
Bomb Explode
Radiation
Hit by plasma ball
Norad Door Crush
WSC Floored

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 02:44 am:

I just opened the C:\JMAN\SUPPORT\DEATH directory here, I think I know what they all are. Caught by Security is being captured by going into the wrong areas in the WSC or the Main Entrance on Mars, or by running out of energy in a time zone. I assume that also happens in Prehistoric, but I don't think anyone's ever done that by accident. The Dino is by walking towards the soaring dino, the Mars bucket fall is not timing your jump *in* to it properly, the same as the machenery is not timing the jump *out* of it. The bomb explode is the coolest Death pic, I recken, if you go into the Maze without disarming the card bomb first. Radiation is taking too long onn the Card bomb node game. Hit by Plasma ball, I have no idea, I thought it could be Mercury shooting you as a robot, but it's already shown later. Norad Door Crush, while I haven't done it myself, would probably be waiting at the Pressure door with Posideon breaking the door down before you crush him. WSC Floored, I haven't experienced.
Also, there's some more:
-Choked by Ares. 'What do you do when a seven-foot tall robot tells you to get out of his way? Go on. Take a wile guess.' First Death I ever experienced.
-In jail. This I recall is if you go back to your apartment after being allowed out of the TSA instead of getting Elliot, I don't know if the same would result if you went back before getting into the TSA proper either.
-Removed the cardbomb. This is if you Remove the access card bomb before analysing it, which isn't a smart thing to do.
-Uncreated. The one which shows Agent #5 being disintegrated from the feet up is if you stay in front of the Command Center monitor long enough for the Reality Distortion Wave to catch up with you.

However, I don't know about the Plasma ball death, nor the one where the wall cracks behind Agent #5.

Also, on the PC version I saw that instead of going to a Death sequence for removing the gas canister, the game crashes with a warning box saying 'Sorry, you took the ... ' something and you 'weren't meant to take it'. Which I thought was strange because after viewing the OBJECTS.AVI file, it's clearly an object you can take. And if it kills you, why does it crash the program with that as an error message instead of a proper death? I can't find the Death .BMP for that, does the Mac version have it at all?
Oh, and on that note, you can't die from the poison dart in the PC version. I didn't even know there was a molecule game until Dad played it some time after I'd finished the game, could dying due to this be hte source of the 'WSC Floored' pic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 11:07 am:

Well, I decided to fire up my copy of JMP Turbo! (Mac
version) and get dead in as many ways as possible. There
are a few things I'd like to note about you previous post,
Tass.

-Going back you your apartment after getting let out
doesn't put you in jail
-The uncreated death can also be shown at the beginning
by sending the molecular transporter to anywhere but the
TSA

I guess the PC version of JMP is bad. First off, if you have
the gas canister in your possession, everybody wakes up
and you get caught.

If you haven't gotten the antidote from WSC and you go out
of the lab, you pass out (but you aren't caught, which
probably explains the WSC floor death).

I waited for a while in the prehistoric age and found that if
you run out of energy, you get eaten by a pterodactyl. Also,
if you keep on going towards the volcano, you can fall off
the cliff (explaining the "Prehistoric fall" death).

I'm willing to bet that the plasma death is when Sinclair
shoots you, since there is a big plasma ball that gets fired
at you. I'll have to note though that Sinclair is an idiot for
letting you stand there for a good fifteen seconds before he
shoots you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 12:47 pm:

No, the crosshair death is when Dr. Sinclair shoots you.
It shows a crosshair with you in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 12:48 pm:

The cracking wall is where Poseidon drills through the
loading arm window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 12:56 pm:

The Plasma Ball death can't be Killed by Sinclair, as the Death image for that is Agent #5 in a gun target. But by no means is the Behind Bars due to returning to your apartment is a valid Death, something about not fulfiling your duty. I wonder if this Death is a new one for PC not inserted in the Mac one. You're right about the Dino one, from JMAN.EXE: 'You succeeded in escaping the bounds of time and space to travel 200 million years into the past, only to be eaten by a Pterodactyl. Next time you should heed the warnings and move a little faster, genius.'

'You learn quickly, grasshopper, but move slowly. You have been incinerated by a firey plasma ball.'

Actually, that sounds like it could be related to Posideon's plasma blasts, which you can't die from in the PC version, as you can't move while the sequence plays.

Wait a minute. The Behind Bars death references you being stuck in a time zone, how is this possible? Maybe I was wrong, I'll check it later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 12:57 pm:

Hey, how do you get the text for these? I could only find
the images!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 12:58 pm:

Ah yep Joey, I remember that now. I never actually died from that, I've always Crushed him. It would have been a better Death if you could see him though the window, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Tuesday, October 5, 2004 - 12:59 pm:

If you have the PC version, open Notepad and then open your JMAN.EXE file, then just go down until you find text, or search for 'Sinclair' or something, that's what I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ballsandy on Wednesday, October 6, 2004 - 07:52 pm:

I think i know about the plasma shot.
When you take too long on the wsc catwalk or you do not drop the wire or you cancel the sprinklers,
You get shot by the robot.
Look at your wsc video clip of when you get on the catwalk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ballsandy on Wednesday, October 6, 2004 - 08:20 pm:

Uh-oh!
I am having a problem with the cvid codec suddenly.
I can't see the marsfly.avi and other video clips now.
what should i do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Wednesday, October 6, 2004 - 09:18 pm:

I have no idea, sorry.
I could have sworn that the Plasma ball clip was designed for Norad, and getting shot by Mecrcury resulted in the Death where the laser is in front of you and the... No, you're actually right. I just checked it then, and he does in fact kill you though Laser Blast (Plasma Ball). So then, how would the laser + smoke trails death be done?
Well, THAT was suss. I just played the Norad bit again. First I tried my best to get hit by Posideon's blast, but nothing. I then loaded the savegame to remove the gas canister, and after several clicks on it, instead of crashing the game, it gave me the Out of Energy death. Stupid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 10:13 am:

I think that the plasma death blast could be if you are in
Norad and have a low amount of energy, then go outside
and get shot by Poseidon to eliminate the rest of your
energy. I'll have to try it sometime.

I think I understand the jail death. I was looking through
the data files and found that most files you can drag into a
text editor and everything is listed plainly (there's even a
message from Presto congratulating you for finding it and
reminding you of copyright). I noticed that in the section
about deaths, (if I read this correctly) there's a random
chance that you will get either the jail ending or the caught
ending if you are stuck in a timezone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By James Ferguson on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 10:39 am:

ballsandy, go to Microsoft's home page, and enter "KB138261" in the "Search Microsoft.com for:" space. Even though the article says it applies to Windows 95, it also applies to Windows 98 and 98SE. I'm not sure if the steps are the same for ME, 2000, or XP, but do whatever the steps' equivalents are, if any of those systems is what you're running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 01:12 pm:

Hey guys (and gals). I was looking through the data files
and saw the movies for the spinning biochips in the item
info window. There was one that doesn't appear in the
game, a biochip with the letter V on it. Any ideas as to what
it was for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ballsandy on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 06:08 pm:

I am running win 98 with a 233 mhz intel processor.
This is my laptop, i need something to play while i am at school (at lunch and break)
I have noticed though that i do not have this problem on any other computer i own, just the laptop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 07:27 pm:

Gals? Where!?
I don't see a V BioChip in my ITEMDESC.AVI, the only one item in there that doesn't appear in the game is the gas canister, which we've already gone over. My best guess is that a V BioChipo would be the final one that Presto never got to finish, or scrapped. Whatever it would have been for is a mystery. Maybe there was a whole other area to one of the timezones that was scrapped?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ballsandy on Thursday, October 7, 2004 - 07:57 pm:

the video problem is fixed.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Saturday, October 9, 2004 - 11:01 am:

I figured that the V biochip was the one scrapped.
Apparently, Tass, the PC and Mac version are different since
I don't have such a movie. I found it in a folder (I don't
recall the name) which contained the spinning item movies
that come up when you examine an item. There I found the
V biochip and also one for the gas canister, oddly enough.

I think that the V biochip was for either a "verify" function
or some sort of "virtual reality" function.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Saturday, October 9, 2004 - 01:57 pm:

I like the sound of 'Verify'.
In my PC Turbo!, all of the Items are linked together in a single video file in the root of the JMAN folder. All of the Deaths are seporate Image files in a subfolder, and so on. I fail to have these CD Audio tracks, or the .wav versions of these tracks, which I wouldn't mind having.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Saturday, October 9, 2004 - 04:16 pm:

Well, the Mac version doesn't have deaths in convenient
picts. The PC version doesn't have sounds in convenient
files. If it's alright with Tommy, I'd gladly trade with you
and anybody else. I'll have to get his okay first though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 10:10 am:

Well, I was hoping that Tommy would post directly on these
forums and say whether or not it was okay to give Win JMP
users the audio files, but he hasn't and I can't find his e-
mail anywhere. Anybody got it?

I've got a new question. In Poseidon's Optical Memory file,
Sinclair talks about how if he should fail in assassinating
the Cyrollan delegate that "it will all be over by a push of
the button" or something like that. I think he goes on to say
that it will be the end of the delegate, of Caldoria, and
everyone else, or something.

Well, I don't know what he was talking about. The only two
things I know of that involve Sinclair are the bad ending
where he shoots you (and obviously he succeeded, so
presumably, he had no motive to "end it all") and the good
ending where you shoot Sinclair and the game ends. So,
what's the thing all about? Does something happen in one
of the later games?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 07:58 pm:

I watched that vid the other day. I think he means destroying Caldoria, which he would have done if Agent #5 arrested him. But instead, he used the Stun Gun. I'll just assume that Sinclair is not as trigger-happy as the badguy from Speed, if the stun didn't cause him to release a trigger. He probably didn't have a choice to push one if any, as a neural blast would make him unsable to do anything for a while.
Well, at least the good Doctor has backup plans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Matt Cox on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 08:50 pm:

I think this was probably a puzzle not implemented in time for JMP, because if you play Pegasus Prime, there is indeed a puzzle after you knock out Sinclair where you have to stop a bomb he activated from blowing up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 03:34 am:

I think I saw a video on that, once.

I noticed something, thismorn. I recently aquired a second PC 'JMP Turbo!', and while I thought it was exactly the same, I noticed that the design of the manual was lighter, as well as sliightly different (you can see the red on the left side of the Mars gantryway on the case). Also, if you look at the CD from the data-side, my older one has a black band around it, while the newer doesn't. I wonder if these are both printing errors, or different versions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Geno Andrews on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 06:19 pm:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I'm one of the original creators at Presto. I did the music for J1. Someone sent me this string with Tommy's name and I had to check it out. Great to see you guys still geeking out on such an old (but very cool) time in my life.

Enjoy it all!
Geno

(Tommy, if you see this message I'd love to catch up. Don't have your current email, but I'm sure I could get it from Jack. I stay in touch with Hook a bit, and Mic gives a shout every so often. Blessings. g-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 09:32 pm:

Ah! Awesome.
To all you playing at home, I emailed Geno a while back asking how possible it would be to get some high-quality music files he did for the JMP 1, with the emphasis on the 'Marz Maze' music. Not to decieve you, Tommy, I again asked him if I would be allowed to put the track on my website (as his work), to which I recieved his blessing. Anyway, he also said that it's okay for Thunderforge to send me any music files of his if he's still interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 09:59 am:

I'd be glad to send anybody the music files if they have
them. I do not have it as an audio CD, but I do have all of
the files in the data folder in convenient files so that you
don't have to rip them.

Of course, the only thing keeping me back at the moment
is that I'm still not sure if I'm allowed to or not. Tommy
says I can't for legal reasons, and I respect his call. But
since Geno says it's okay, I'm still not quite sure if I'm
allowed to. I don't want to do anything illegal, so I just want
a final say before I do anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Geno Andrews on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 07:50 am:

Geno here.

If you have those files in folders on the disc they're just 22kz and that's no big deal. You have my permission to send to Tass for his website. He's not selling the music, he's just using it to enhance his site musically. (At least that's my understanding) I consider it a compliment.

Send the files with my blessing and tell Tommy to give me a shout when he gets a second. I still have all my signed copies of Buster STILL in the baggie and never touched. My wife keeps asking what they are and I tell her one day they're going to be worth MILLION$!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 10:25 am:

Thanks for clearing everything up, Geno. Tass, I went through my CD and pulled out all of the music files (none of the sound effect files). I put all of the songs except the Mars Maze one (the longest) in a folder and compressed everything. After compressing in some different formats, I got the following sizes:

ZIP format
-Mars Maze: 10.3 MB
-Everything else: 6.6 MB

SIT format
-Mars Maze: 9.1 MB
-Everything else: 5.4 MB

Tass, I don't want to overload your e-mail account or give you a format that you can't read, so I just wanted to post the stats above and have you decide.

Also, if anybody else wants the music files, then please send me an e-mail at: wjherrmannDELETE-ME@fuse.net (delete the "DELETE-ME" part first, it's an anti-spam measure). Make sure you say what compression format you want and if you want all or only a few of the files.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 02:44 pm:

Haha! Awesome, thanks so much, guys.
TForge, while GMail has a 1GB limit for space, I think it has a problem with attachments over a few MB in size. Therefore, I think the ZIP would be of most use for me, to andrewDELETE@2020itDELETE.com.au, that'd be great.
I downloaded a program that works with SIT files, to extract the media for Pegasus Prime Demo I downloaded a little while ago, but it always seem to crash at around 80%, so it's probably a better idea to Zip. Again, thanks for your help Geno, TForge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 04:32 am:

Okay, I just sent the files. And if anybody else wants them,
again be sure to send me an e-mail or tell me here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tommy on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 10:19 pm:

Since Geno himself has passed his blessings, you guys are okay to use his old 22K musical elements for Journeyman Project fan-related activities as long as it is not-for-profit. Just keep in mind this doesn't mean that they're public domain as Presto still retains the copyright to the Journeyman Project.

Knock yourself out guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 01:39 am:

Excellent. Thanks for understanding, Tommy. The files he sent me are good, they have the pure music without any other bits, as for example the Caldoria explosion BGM without the actual explosion.

Are all the JMP for Mac files named in a friendly manner (in English), or did you rename them, ThunderForge?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Thunderforge on Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 11:50 am:

They were named in a friendly manner. I love Macs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey Miesner on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 01:20 pm:

Hey, does anyone have a full picture of the original
BioSuit from JMP 1?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 04:22 pm:

I got one, it has descriptions though. From my JMP manual, which I just scannned and de-speckled. It seems to be nicer quality than the one in the Online Manual, though.
http://www.2020it.com.au/folder/
I chucked it in there, I'm still playing around with remote-linking killers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ballsandy on Saturday, December 4, 2004 - 07:49 pm:

hmmm.
I had a small thought on the sound files.
If you had the right software you could edit the songs for example remove the heartbeat and sucking from the rather large mars maze audio file.
It could work.
sadly. I can't test this idea at the moment because my computer is being used as a storage pc for my brother so my disk is loaded with episotdes of inu yasha and leaving me with almost 23MB left!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brad Lee on Tuesday, December 7, 2004 - 05:10 pm:

*waves* Wow, glad to know this series still has a good following. I played JPT when I was about 8, bought the trilogy pack a couple of years ago. Sadly my Atlantis disc broke, but the good news is I bought another copy of the trilogy off of eBay. Besides, it's always good to have a backup copy, especially when the other one is back at home and I'm up here at college. Oh, and Geno, I must say your Mars maze piece is great. Also, the songs on your "commerical" on BiT, aside from the one on the EC you get, did you ever fully complete those, or just do snippets. I especially like "Selling Yourself" and that other one, something about travelling around the world, something-Rome, maybe Living in Rome?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Matt Cox on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 06:00 am:

Brad,

Those are real songs by Geno Andrews, the composer/sound designer for JMP1.

http://www.genoandrews.com/CD_Page.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brad Lee on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 08:00 am:

Ooo! I found this in reference to the mysterious V biochip from a walkthrough for Journeyman Turbo: Presto says: There is an extra biochip slot because we planned to put
another chip in there (I think it was going to be the "video" chip). But, we ran out of time and space on the cd-rom. Instead of re-designing the entire interface they left it that way. Sorry for all the confusion. You have all the biochips available to you.

This came from a walkthrough that you can read here: http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/journeyman_project_a.txt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brad Lee on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 10:03 am:

I poked around in Jman.exe and found this: This high-pressure gas cannister is made of latesized alumisteel, a 'smart' alloy not invented until 2307.
It's the description for the poison gas canister, however the item is spelled differently, as you can see. So all you JPT Windows users (myself included) can now rest a little easier at night given the knowledge of this mysterious canister. At least to some point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 01:25 pm:

Oh? Verify sounds so much cooler.
Thanks for that, Brad, I didn't think to check in my EXE for the descriptions, even though it's what I did for the Deaths. Sinclair sure likes his Smart Alloy project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brad Lee on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 01:57 pm:

Interesting...maybe it's b/c I'm running the patched version, but JMPT in XP doesnt give the error box (I've seen it before, too) when I try to grab the poison bottle in Norad VI. Instead, it runs the dragged away by security death.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 02:06 pm:

Ah! That would explain why I got that as a death last time I tried, as I was running the patched version.

I guess it'd be better to have the Caught by Security than some half-arsed 'Sorry, you did the wrong thing *crash*'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey M. on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 09:10 am:

Hey, I was just playing JMP 1 and realized: the TSA must have a really huge electricity bill. I mean, it takes a couple hundred terrajoules just to send you back in time! Imagine how much they must pay, and plus, what would the electricity company think? 8D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brad Lee on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:49 am:

It's a government agency, so they're getting government electricity that is handled on a need-to-know basis by those up in Finance and whatnot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Matt Cox on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 04:54 pm:

Plus, who's to say that the TSA doesn't generate their own power? We don't know how 24th century power systems work, so the amount of power needed to power Pegasus might be generated in something the size of a small suitcase for all we know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By neon on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 05:49 am:

i have the game and i love it? i want to get all of them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey M. on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 12:44 pm:

I thought you said you don't know what it is (see other forum).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Crowley on Wednesday, February 2, 2005 - 07:04 am:

It would've been cool if the NORAD personnel would take some time waking up after you remove the canister instead of instantly rushing in. Come to think of it, wouldn't they catch the robot too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Matt Cox on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 05:29 am:

Norad troops catching the robot would cause just as big of a reality distortion wave as what the robot did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass[AJ] on Thursday, February 3, 2005 - 07:23 pm:

Catch Posideon? I'd they'd be no match for him. However, he does love a challenge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By blitter on Wednesday, February 9, 2005 - 05:10 pm:

I've always wondered what the source was for that dissection video in Sinclair's lab in WSC. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you guys took video of carving a pumpkin and added a red tint, but I could be mistaken. The tearing sound FX certainly resemble cutting pumpkin "guts." Was that stock footage or did someone actually film a dissection of a rat's cerebrum??

This question is for Geno if he happens to be browsing...I've always wondered about that loading arm in Norad-- was the sound for that ripped from the movie Aliens? It sounds almost identical

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By KivaWolf on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:17 pm:

I believe Geno only did the music for JMP and not the SFX. I could be wrong so you could head to his website and ask him yerself. http://www.genoandrews.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By KivaWolf on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:35 pm:

Okay give me a kick in the rear end for not knowing this.. Apparntly he did do the SFX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Alex Richert on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:34 pm:

I got the all 3-game package online and I loved it. I finally got to play JMP2 and everything.
The problem is after a while of not playin JMPT, I looked at the bottom of the disc and it looks like someone hit it with a hammer, there is a big black dent in the memory side. Anyone know a for-sure way for me to get a copy of JMPT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By RIck on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 02:36 pm:

please i need to find a copy of the game help me please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Nayus Dante on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 06:11 pm:

Search Ebay for Journeyman Project. If you are a windows user, be sure to grab the Turbo! edition. You can get it for under $10 easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:00 pm:

Damn, this game is awesome...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 04:29 am:

Hey Tommy, can you answer me this;
http://presto.tommyyune.com/presto/journeymanturbo/subrm.htm
I keep seeing this image around, associated with the JMP, yet with my copy at least, it's not possible to get inside that room with Posideon. Would this have been a beta-shot or something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey M. on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 11:38 am:

I was wondering that too, I think it's just a promo shot where they took the Norad sub dock bay background then superimposed Poseidon onto it. Kind of like the Ares picture with the "losing oxygen" screen from the game ending and an Ares shot (on the CD cover.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tommy on Monday, May 2, 2005 - 06:12 pm:

It's a promotional image that was released before final gameplay was locked down. The only time you are able to approach the robot in the sub dock is after it's been crushed under pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By pc_michael on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:37 pm:

In Agent 5's apartment, when you sit down you can pick a few
different tunes to play in the Environ system, you know? When you
pick "Acoustic," some really cool acoustic guitar music plays. On
the Mac CD it can be found in /Assets/Apt Sounds AIFF/
Clouds.AIFF. Does anyone happen to know if this is a
real song or
if it was composed for the game? I know it's a long shot, but I've
always wanted to learn how to play it but I don't know what name
to search for tabs.

Also, thanks so much for preserving the Presto site! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Hilltopper on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:42 pm:

Thanks James Ferguson for showing how to alter the JMAN.INI file so the program will run!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 07:29 am:

I've tried to play "the Journeyman Project Trailer" and "The Making of The Journeyman Project" which come with the Journeyman Project Turbo! CD, but I can't get them to play. A message pops up that says that the shortcut which leads to the video doesn't lead to anything that exists (or something like that).
Does anybody know how to fix this, or where you can download the videos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 07:27 am:

Are there any other bonuses in Turbo other than The Ghandi Bonus? How do you get them? Do you get anything for obtaining The Ghandi Bonus?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 05:25 pm:

They work fine on my computer, Joel. I'd try copying them to your computer's hard drive, then running the videos individually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 04:09 pm:

Ok, I have copied the videos, or at least the shortcuts to them to my hard drive, and then running them individually. The same error messages pop up.

If nobody wants to read this sliiiightly long explanation, does anybody know where on the web you can download the videos from? IF it's ok with the makers of the game, you can send me a copy of "The Journeyman Project Trailer" and "The Making of Journeyman" at JoeyBuddy96@hotmail.com if you have the Turbo! CD.

Like James Ferguson said earlier: "Please note: because of the technical nature of this forum, if you see "^#92;" terms in this message, they mean "backslash", the symbol that separates folder names in an address bar path."

I usually attempt to open the videos by going to the Start bar, then programs, then the Journeyman Project, then the videos.

Here's what the messages say...in a leeeetle bit more detail:

1st message that pops up when I click on the icon[the set of messages are the same for both the trailer and the making of journeyman unless otherwise noted]:
"The Journeyman Project[this appears at the top of the message window]
[There is a red circle with an "X" in it]
D:\TRAILERS\JMAN [it is the same for the looping version of the trailer][for The Making of Journeyman, it says D:\JOURNEY here] refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, on a network, or on a different computer on your home network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or home network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."
I now click "ok".

2nd message:
[it shows a little flashlight going back and forth]
"Missing Shortcut
Windows is searching for JMTRAIL.EXE.[It says JOURNEY.EXE with the making of journeyman here] To locate the file yourself, click browse.
[it has two buttons, "browse" and "cancel" here. If I click neither, and just wait a moment, the next message pops up]"

3rd message:
"Problem with Shortcut
[it shows a magnifying glass over a piece of paper] The item 'JMTRAIL.EXE' [it says JOURNEY.EXE with the making of journeyman here] that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.
The nearest match based on size, date, and type is 'C:\Program Files\...\721DOC9E.EXE'.
Do you want to fix this shortcut or do you just want to delete it?
[here are buttons that say "fix it" "delete it" and "cancel"][I click "fix it"]

4th message:
[this message comes up every time whenever I click on the videos after I've gone through the first 3 messages, and the only way to get those messages to come back again is to reinstall the game.]
"C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\721DOC9E.EXE
[it shows a red circle with an "X".]C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\721DOC9E.EXE is not a valid Win32 application."[I click "ok" and that's it...there's no more messages after that, and the videos don't play.]
WHEW!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By arcoll on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 05:19 pm:

Joel,

Is the drive letter of your CD/DVD-ROM drive D: ?

The problem could be that the shortcuts on the start menu are refering to D:, which is the CD-ROM drive letter on most people's computers. However, if your CD-ROM drive letter is something else, like E:\ or F:\ , Windows will give you those error messages simply because it can't find the files.

What I would do is manually navigate to the EXE files with the following steps:

1: From the desktop, double-click on My Computer (on some XP systems you have to go to the start menu to find it)

2: Double-click on the CD/DVD-ROM drive directory that the JMAN CD is inserted in. (if an autorun menu appears, rather than double-clicking on the CD drive icon, right click on it and click "Open".

3A: Double-click on the TRAILERS subdirectory, then double-click on the JMAN subdirectory for the trailer, or:

3B: Double-click on the JOURNEY subdirectory for the Making of video.

4: Double-click on whatever file in either of the directories is an EXE file (probably JOURNEY.EXE for the Making of, don't know about the trailer)

5: The videos should work.

If you've tried all this stuff and I've insulted your intelligence, my apologies. Just trying to eliminate every posibility :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 06:12 pm:

I'd try a different computer if I were you, Joey. Your one doesn't sound too stable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:37 am:

My CD drive is D:, my hard drive is C:, and my floppy drive is A:.

My computer is actually fairly new (a Dell Dimension 600lx, I think, with Windows Me), but, yeah, it is pretty unstable. Unfortunately, it's the only computer I have.

I don't get why they don't just put these videos up on the Presto website, seeing as they have all of the other Journeyman videos there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By arcoll on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 05:55 pm:

Joel, just curious, did you try the suggestions I left above? (navigating through my computer, etc.?) Just wondering :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Christopher on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 09:04 pm:

You can also get bonuses to getting more biochips and saving energy in addition to the Ghandi bonus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:50 pm:

I went to My Computer and opened the D: drive that the CD is inserted into, and looked for the TRAILERS and JOURNEY subdirectories, but they weren't there. Then I looked for it using Explore. They weren't in there, either. Then I used Search to search the CD for files and folders named TRAILERS, JMAN, JMTRAIL, JOURNEY, and .EXE. That didn't turn up anything relevant. Then I searched the CD for any files or folders containing the same words. This turned up irrelevant folders that are just for the game, like some game animation videos and readmes. But something I did notice when I was searching for words within folders was that the JMSETUP application turned up in every one of the words I searched. So perhaps the videos are contained in the JMSETUP application somehow. If there was a way to look through it, and pick out the videos, I could probably get them that way.

I also wonder if I did something wrong during the installation of the game, like not installing Video for Windows 1-1a... but I've got a more recent version. But then again, they might be connected to it being installed.

Christopher, how much energy do you have to have to get the bonus you mention?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey M on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 10:10 am:

"My computer is actually fairly new (a Dell Dimension 600lx, I think, with Windows Me), but, yeah, it is pretty unstable. Unfortunately, it's the only computer I have. "

Well this may sound stupid but Windows ME sucks. I would suggest either upgrading to XP or downgrading to 98.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 07:02 am:

I'd really rather not do that just so that I can run a couple of videos...but what makes 98 better than ME? Just less likely to mess up stuff or crash, I presume?

Anyway, since I already own a copy of the CD, I don't think the game creators will mind if I get sent a copy of the videos via e-mail from somebody who also owns a copy. This seems to be the easiest and simplest method. JoeyBuddy96@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Saturday, July 2, 2005 - 03:38 pm:

I would also suggest 98. It's a lot more stable.
Tell ya what, I'll send you one or two videos, see if you can open them. If so, I'll send you some more. Once I get back home, I'm on holiday at the moment up in Sydney.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Old Timer on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 01:40 pm:

I got the game back in '95 (I think)...came with a PB system. I've since lost the game, but would like the sound clip that played when Gage (I think) stepped into the transporter and went somewhere. Can someone make that clip available for download? Even the vid clip (avi or whatever it was) would be fine. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 09:27 am:

Thanks, Tass-AJ, I got the Intro video you sent me. It might be a while before I can see if it worked though, due to file opening restrictions at certain libraries.:|

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 09:06 pm:

Cool, I'm glad you got my email Joel.

Old Timer, I think when I get home tonight I'll make and upload a music file of the clip for you, giving credit to Geno Andrews and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:29 am:

I got the videos, Tass-AJ, they work. You can send me the other two if you want.:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 11:41 am:

Tass, the closest thing to Journeyman videos I can see on that link is the demo for The Journeyman project. The link you sent me is not working right now, and I can't get onto your homepage, either. You mentioned that the Making Of was split up into 11 chapters and that the Trailer is 29MB. Do you know anyone who is hosting these vids?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 06:56 pm:

My website kinda died. >_< Turned out no-one was paying for it, which I wasn't aware of. I can't have anymore large Jman files uploaded, sorry.

I don't know anyone who's hosting the vids, but the Making Of does consist of 11 small-ish AVI video files, with trailers exiting elsewhere on the CD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Carlo C on Sunday, October 2, 2005 - 12:13 pm:

Anyone know where I can get this game. I lost my CD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 03:06 pm:

Well, by small-ish, I mean 85MB total. I won't be uploading them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 12:55 pm:

Attention, to ye all wanting "The Journey" AVIs.
I've changed my mind. It's surprising what a flat-out internet connection will do for you. :D

http://files.opsat.net/?/tass/the_journey/

Enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By KivaWolf on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 06:47 pm:

Hmm... is it me or is 8 and 9 missing? BTW Tass, thanks for bringing this to everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By MWGemini on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 01:27 pm:

I'm at the point where I have to deactivate the launch silos in Norad, but I'm having SERIOUS trouble targetting the silos. Finding them is not the problem, it is getting the cursor to actually move to them. I end up spending the entire time moving all around the target and never landing on it. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a trick I am missing, or what?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By KivaWolf on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 11:08 pm:

Gemini, yer not doing anything wrong. Its just that you have to find the right Silo to deactivate and not just any. Yes the targeting is hard as well and you might have to make a quick click so it won't move so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By MWGemini on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 06:25 am:

Like I said- finding the correct silo isn't the problem, it's targetting it. I've tried small clicks as well as holding the mouse button down and moving, but can never land directly on the silo. I'm wondering if maybe my computer is too fast, or if it might be a mouse sampling rate issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By KivaWolf on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 07:16 pm:

Unfortunately that is how the game is... There is no way to make it land on the silo perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 04:51 pm:

Well, there is, but it's difficult.
Anyway, I uploaded the rest of the vids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Chris on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 06:14 pm:

I just got a copy of this game ... having played it several years ago. The videos seem to work fine, but whe I choose to start the game (skipping background and intro) the monitor flickers and then the program disappears.

Win XP ... running in Win98 compatibility with 256 colors ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By trevor L on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 08:38 am:

if u have the macontosch verson u get extras like buried in time trailer,and other trailers and if u want to get to mars or well i have mars,norad,shuttle,andWSC just go to restor game then go to saved game then it gives u a list of levels just click on the one u want to go to. it also has more tell me on here today 12/28/05 for more extras.hey can i joine the nerd jm club

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By trevor L on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 09:30 am:

ya u right the starring bid for jmpt on ebay for $00.99 !!!!!!!!! i cant belive thoes people are practling throwing the new-real edition away i was going to get it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By trevor L on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 05:27 am:

oops i ment well u know im in for any questions today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brad Lee on Monday, January 2, 2006 - 07:54 am:

I remember years ago the first time I played JMPT on Windows 3.11, and even the Windows version had the trailers on it for JMP and BiT. Man, what I wouldn't give to see those again...but, sadly that disc was just an evaluation copy my dad had from his office, back when they were testing the viability of CD-ROMs and multimedia, lol. Fortunantly years later I managed to find the last copy of the Trilogy in EBGames.

Anyways, I was playing JMPT last night, and was thinking: even without reading the optical biochips and the other clues from the robots, we can still deduce that Dr. Sinclair is the cause of the rips. Why? Because the TSA is still there, which means that time travel still exists, and therefore Dr. Sinclair still exists...and since he's the only other person that knows of time travel...well there you go. Although that raises another question: stricly from an in-game sense of course, why does the TSA remain unchanged after the rip hits? Is the complex in a Null-Time Pocket? Maybe that's why we can't leave during a rip, the door is holding back the wave...but then again, if you sit in the command center and wait after the alarms go off, the wave hits anyways, so idk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brad Lee on Monday, January 2, 2006 - 04:27 pm:

For those who are having problems with the silo and are getting frustrated at running out of time, just click where the Deactivate button would normally appear (lower right corner) and your time will reset! Nice little cheat there for the faster machines that keep jumping over the silo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joel on Friday, January 6, 2006 - 06:56 am:

It could be in a null-time pocket, but the more likely explaination is that the specific things done by Sinclair didn't affect the TSA. Small changes did occur affecting the TSA, as seen by the changes in breifing stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Jeff H on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 01:49 pm:

So I've put JMP Turbo on my new computer (Mac OSX), and, to my suprise it runs, and runs very well through os9. The only problem is that I can't load saved games, and the game crashes if I try to load. If I try to load while I'm in the game I get an error message saying "Script error: Handler not defined", and I'm forced to quit the game (it just crashes when I load from the main menu).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By trevor on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 05:05 am:

does the message give you any options???? if so try the diffrent one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 12:08 pm:

Because if the TSA was destroyed, we wouldn't have a game to play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By gagebwood on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:45 pm:

i think that there might have been a 4th time zone but presto hadt to cut it because of dosc space. as for the "v bichip" could you send me the vid im at shugo21_245@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brad Lee on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 05:44 pm:

LOL!!! This guy has played WAY too much JMP: http://timetraveler.ytmnd.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Trevor on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 09:36 am:

LOL!!! You wanta go!LOL.(just kidding)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mitch h. on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 08:41 pm:

does anyone have this music file? of the song being played while
you are trying to get the access card bomb out of the generator?
You know, the music by the sheild generator on mars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mitch h on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 08:54 pm:

does anyone have a copy of the song being played while you are
in the mars shield generator room? you know, the song being
played when you are playing mastermind getting the bomb
deactivated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mitch on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 03:10 pm:

Does anyone have an early release CD with all the music files on it?
I'd like for someone to send me some mp3, AIFF, or any other
macintosh compatible format sound files of all the music in JMan
Turbo. Send all the music to my email please. thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mick on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 11:00 am:

Hey everyone.

I popped in Turbo! fantasizing about how I would adapt it to a
novel or comic book and explain all the open concepts and loose
ends. I'd replace the Pegasus Prime AI for Kristi in heartbeat,
that's for sure.

But I wanted to explain how the TSA was built and how all the
procedures were decided upon, and I realized that I didn't know
where the TSA was! It could literally be anywhere, 10 miles
beneath the surface, beneath the ocean, floating in the sky on
another sky-borne metropolis. It was pretty cool that they never
said where it was, I thought. Added to the mystique.

But it's in Africa!

When you're in the Pegasus device and selecting which locations
to travel to, the spatial distance it gives for Norad, which looks
to be off the coast of Nigeria, is 4,047 Km (2,514 mi.) and from
Sydney the distance is 12,031 Km (6,357 mi.). If you draw a
radius out from these two locations, you find the areas just
about intersect in a narrow location in eastern Africa.

I'd say the TSA is in either Kenya or Tanzania, or the waters
thereabout. I suppose it could also be in a sky-borne metropolis
above there, or maybe even in space. I haven't actually plotted
the exact distances, only estimated it on a map. But it'd be fun
to go look. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Journeykid on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 07:12 pm:

I received my first computer back around 1995. A Packard Bell 75mhz I believe it was. Well among the many games I purchased through the years was a sparkling brand new edition of the Journeyman Project and as they tend to say “the rest is history”...

And of course not without regrets, Presto, Packard Bell and for good measure Boffo games are all gone now. Only a hand full will ever know about this past and surely as they have moved on we have too...

But to this very day in March 2006 I have never forgot about playing that game. Honest to god, I can still hear the music as if I were still a young kid with little more to worry about then beating the next level...

I will always appreciate the imagination or really the magic... Perhaps this is why I smile every time it comes to mind.. There are great steps forward, some times great leaps but by all means this was moment in time. My great appreciation Presto, RIP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Trevor on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:20 am:

hey journey kid if you have a computer go on ebay and journey man project turbo is only $.99. by the way ur story is touching!lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 08:50 pm:

I don't know what version of the game you've been playing, Mitch, but there's no music during the cardbomb deactivation game, just a repeditive machinery clunk. The Maze track is available from here (http://files.opsat.net/?/tass/JMP_-_Marz_Maze.mp3), however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By blitter on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 09:45 pm:

Hmm, I seem to recall some faint music during the Mastermind game... it got faster as the levels got higher. It was a very repetitive bass track that wasn't all that memorable. I forget whether this was in Turbo or Pegasus Prime, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tass-AJ on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:31 pm:

Ah, prolly PP. Sounds cool, though. Can someone send it to me if they can find it as an AIFF?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Matt Cox on Wednesday, April 5, 2006 - 01:48 pm:

While it could've been a different complex, Legacy of Time clearly shows that TSA is embedded inside a mountain somewhere, so I suppose if you cross-reference your Africa information with any mountains in the region, you could get something approximate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Trevor on Friday, April 7, 2006 - 05:03 pm:

Hey tass whats the code for the second part of jmpt turbo-you know the one where it says please enter the code in your manual book?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Sancho on Saturday, April 8, 2006 - 07:55 pm:

My friend is a follower of these boards, and he told me about idea of where the TSA could be placed. Well, I wasn't convinced by the idea that the TSA was somewhere in eastern Africa. I'd always thought it was in the Appalachians somewhere, as I believe it says in LoT, so I had to figure out a way to mesh with the in game data (distances). Interestingly enough, I came up with a few ideas that give a lot more credence to that idea.

1) The distances given are most likely linear.
This kinda sparked my debate. If you take a circle, draw two points on the circle and draw a straight line between those two points, the length of that line is less then the length of the arc with the two points as its endpoints. So under the assumption that both the TSA and either destination lie on a great circle of radius R, and that the distance given was the length of the straight line, I used this idea to find the adjusted length to use on a map (Law of cosines to find the angle; two sides are radius of the earth, the other side the length given, then use this angle to find the arc length). The adjusted distance from TSA to Norad is 2557 miles this way, and for TSA to Sydney is 7380 miles. Though this still puts it nowhere near the Appalachians, if Norad VI is off the coast of Nigeria. However...

2) Norad VI is on the Pacific Rim, not off the coast of Nigiera.
Or at least, it says that on the archived JMP site (http://presto.tommyyune.com/presto/journeymanturbo/jmpgallery.html). It would make sense for it to be the off the western coast of the US (which is on the Pacific Rim), since it's a US installation. Using the adjusted distance for Norad VI would put it a few hundred miles off the western coast for basically anywhere in the Appalachians.

Sydney is a little bit harder to match up, unfortunately. The adjusted distance basically put it smack dab in the middle of the Rockies. Its radius follows the Rockies pretty closely, oddly enough. So, while I wish my data pointed towards the Appalachians, I'm going to have to say the Rockies is a much more likely choice. Cheyenne Mountain, the home of our Norad, is in the Rockies also, so they have a history of secret installations.

My map data may be a little off, since all I had to work with was a google maps, a pencil, and a piece of paper. If anyone would like to take my ideas farther, please do. I also couldn't verify that the TSA was on the Pacific Rim in game, as my windows copy is at home (I'm in college right now), and my Powerbook does not want to play my mac copy (Prime either, sadly enough. It may be my cd drive).

*Update*
While I was writing this post, my friend got a screenshot of the map for Norad in Turbo, and I'd had to say that it's actually off the coast of South America. I did some more estimations in Google Maps, and that places it somewhere in the Rockies again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By MikeCassell on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 05:07 pm:

Hey, Tommy. First i would like to tell you how much i have enjoyed playing this game over the years. I've grown very attached to all the aspects as well. It's rare for me to say this as i'm not usually into fiction because i lost track of the characters. Anyway, as a musician of 11 years, much of the music on this game is GREAT. I'm glad they are in seperate files so they can be heard without the game being played. Only complaint though is that they all (with the exception of the mars tunnel song) are only short, looped songclips. I would think it was cool if Geno Andrews went back and added to the music and released a soundtrack or something. The background work and design is also great, especially for it's time. The world science center, with it's shiny multicolored walls and floors, and it's transparant skylight make it extremely heavenly looking. The music fits the surroundings well too. I never understood what the science center there was. A place for science conferences I guess. The rockin' ass song you hear in the norad halls is also killer. A song that should be added on to maybe. I don't know. Just wanted to drop a line and say how much I enjoy the game. Respond if you wish. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By blitter on Thursday, May 4, 2006 - 03:05 pm:

Mike,

The original Journeyman musical pieces *are* in fact available as audio tracks on the original Mac CD of Journeyman, playable in any audio CD player. Took me forever to track down this version on eBay but I've found they've recently been popping up more frequently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Navid on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:27 am:

Hi There
I'm a maya modeller and i want to create "skyborne metropolis of caldoria" and the 2 robots in jman 1.
can someone help me?

best regards
Navid Dezashibi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tommy on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 01:20 pm:

Hi Navid, I personally find that the designs from JP1 are somewhat dated. Do you want to model them as is, or would you like to do an update? I suppose I could try to track down some of the redesigns from Pegasus Prime. BTW, there were 3 robots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By navid on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:13 pm:

hi tommy
thanks but because i want to load them in maya
they didnt help me so much but i tell again thank you,

good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mitch on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 05:18 pm:

Anyone get that master mind music yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Joey M on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 02:46 pm:

Navid, come on over to the Journeyman Project Revisioned
forums. We could do with another modeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Basti on Wednesday, October 4, 2006 - 08:00 am:

Can anyone help me out: I can`t get JMAN.EXE to run. I`ve gut JMP 1.0 and updated it with the JMP Turbo Updater found on this site.

I burned everything with the new JMAN.EXE back to CD but it keeps telling me that the CD is not found. I`ve even edited the JMAN.INI in the Windows Directory manually but without success. Deletetion and new installation won`t help either. What can I do?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: